Saturday 27 December 2014

Know Thy Quiche~!

Garlic quiche...
Are you a fan of quiche? I know I am the first time I did it. I've yet to taste outside quiche. Seen before but not satisfied with the pricing and the amount of ingredients inside the quiche. It's not easy to make a quiche yet it's not difficult. That's the irony of cooking or baking. You need to make the shortcrust pastry then bake the pastry empty. It's really tedious and if you want to have different ingredients, you need to know what kinda of cheese to go along with what you want for your quiche. Every single quiche is different. You don't make the custard by just using fresh milk and eggs and add more eggs if the texture refused to become custard-like. That's an empty quiche with only garlic and spring onion. One of my kitchen crew wanted it with lots and lots of garlic. Crazy....
Smoked scallop quiche...
I added the smoked scallops into the quiche. You know what, you can use less of Cheddar and experiment on the types of cheese that would really go well with your food. Don't say I didn't share a little bit of knowledge that I have. Smoked scallop quiche goes perfectly well with Camembert and Gouda. In comparison, I prefer Camembert for its rich aroma and taste. Gouda was just trailing from behind. Cheddar ran away crying because it has been kicked out of the cheese league.
I have no clear pic of this. The hands were shaking because everyone was hurrying me to stop taking photos. They had been waiting patiently for the oven to 'ting' off. Finally when it 'ting' off, the waited like vultures circling around the dining table. By the way, that's the correct texture of a perfect quiche. It shouldn't be runny. When you buy your quiche from outside, due to cost saving, there might not be a single bit of shredded cheese at all. They just need to use milk and eggs and mostly eggs to trick you into believing it's a perfect quiche. I trained the teenagers in my house to recognize good food. Don't bother trying to trick them into believing what's good and what's not. 
Shrimp quiche...
That's another of our favourite quiche... the shrimp quiche~! You will need to bake this a little longer because the shrimps will release liquid from its body. This goes really well with Pepper Jack. The original Monterey Jack would be great but it's not that easy to purchase cheese from this side of the island. I refused to drive half an island just to get various type of cheese from the overpriced Sam's Groceria at Straits Quay.
Salmon quiche...
Then, we had salmon quiche. I didn't eat this as I kept them for my kitchen crew. We've had mixed seafood quiche before so salmon quiche is something what I craved for. I was really happy with my smoked scallop quiche and shrimp quiche. Havarti cheese would be a great mix and remember to add some dill to cover the fishy smell. I don't smell or taste any fishy smell but some people might have sensitive sense of smell and taste.
Thai curry chicken quiche...
Something totally different. Quiche is a type of French food but since I'm not a Frenchwoman, I localized my quiche and turned it into Thai curry chicken quiche. This time round you have to coaxed that ran away Cheddar to come back. Shred a little Cheddar, you don't want an overpowering cheese taste that covers the aroma from the curry spices and curry leaves. I asked mi mama to go get the curry leaves from our garden at the last minute. I almost forgot about it completely. We love this as much as we love the seafood quiche. At this point of time, we kissed the bacon and spinach quiche goodbye. We loved that quiche last year but we have moved forward and upgraded the quiche by a notch higher.
Leek quiche...
Then, I tried some weird concoction but it's not to any of our liking. We're meat eaters so this leek quiche we found it hard to swallow.
Chicken ham quiche...
The chicken ham quiche became too common. This we don't like as well. Okay, congratulations to me for raising up picky teenagers. 
Chocolate ganache quiche...
Nobody got to taste this simple quiche with chocolate ganache. My precious made this and I ate it all. Good things cannot be kept so I ate on their behalf. Goodbye quiche in the mean time. I need the kick to do it. These few days that it has been raining. I humbly let the hubby run the kitchen while I sat in front of the computer and wait to be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment