Saturday 27 June 2015

Yen's Hainanese Bak Chang....

It was dumpling festival last Saturday so we decided to join in the fun of eating dumpling. Instead of having it on the day itself, we had it two days earlier. Thursday nite itself we started enjoying the dumplings for dinner. If you think one is enough, it's not. I can eat two or three at one go. Mi madre wrapped those dumplings while I helped with the marinades. I'm the self-proclaimed queen of marinades.
 So what's inside the glutinous rice? This is how I like my dumplings to be;

  • 500g pork belly
  • Dark soy sauce
  • Light soy sauce
  • Oyster sauce
  • Pepper
  • Salt
  • Sugar
  • Five spice powder
  • Chopped garlic
Marinade those for an hour - minimum. Sorry, seriously no measurements.... follow thy instinct....
  • 12 small black mushrooms, soaked
  • Light soy sauce
  • Oil
  • Sugar
Marinade those mushrooms separately... also for an hour or two... Then, soaked these in different basins:
  • 1 kg glutinous rice *2 hours*
  • 80g dried shrimps 
  • 80g dried shredded squids
Yeah, no salted duck's egg yolk because I don't eat them at all. If I find them in any dumplings, I will dig them out. No chestnuts... don't like them as well. This is custom made, thus I can have just what I want inside. Marinade the glutinous rice before frying them, make it saltier than usual or else it would turn out tasteless as the saltiness is released into the water. Of course you marinade the glutinous rice with almost the same marinade as the pork belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment