Wednesday 17 December 2014

Due To Shrinking Ringgit...

Steamed fish....
Due to shrinking Ringgit, the fish on my platter shrank as well. Nah, not exactly that. I was 'forced' to buy the fish at the wet market. The word 'force' doesn't sound right. The fishmonger used persuasive selling and suggestive buying on me. And even though I don't have enough cash in hand, she made me carry the fish home. I just remembered I owe her some money but I couldn't remember how much. 

Well, due to the shrinking value of our Ringgit, I had to cook at home to have a hearty meal. Just now, I took a piece of RM10 to the coffee shop to buy lunch for my precious. With that RM10, we got a really really small packet of char koay teow. I would need to eat 3-4 packets to fill up my stomach. And then, I got her a packet of watery green curry chicken with a big packet of white rice. In my house, we always eat little rice but we feasted on the dishes. But outside, the hawkers encourage you to have a mountainous heap of rice with small amount of meat. The green curry has been watered down. There's no more quality in food anymore even when you pay through your nose. Our RM10 used to be able to feed 3 people with loud burps. Gone were the days. 

The cafes outside are selling RM12 for a slim piece of cake. I think I've been living in a cave. I saw the whole round cake of 9-inch selling at RM68. My eyes almost popped out. It's just a very simple cake and I've been baking a few cakes for the girls' birthday as it's really cheap to bake those cakes yourself. Looks like I have to learn on my own in baking all sorts of cakes to keep our sweet-tooth in check. It's high time before the currency worldwide crashes. This world is beyond redemption. Do I have to push a whole trolley of printed useless bill to get my groceries done next time? 
My favourite meatballs...
I've seen hawkers slicing the already small-sized meatballs into two or four pieces. Hubby made lunch and dinner for the family yesterday. I had as much meatballs as I wanted. The soup was made using the chicken carcass left sleeping in the freezer and the leftover parts and pieces of roasted duck. The soup was oily and heavy so I did not drink any of it. Picky me eating.
Vege with some prawns and squid....
Mi mama made a vegetable dish which my precious refused to eat. If we forced it on her, she will surely burst into tears. The broccoli was overcooked and I like it that way. I dislike crunchy vegetables. If it's more salty then it would be really nice.
Awesome fried chicken...
Hubby made the best fried chicken in the whole entire world~! Dip them with ketchup and Thai chilli sauce, I could have that in buckets. There's not much though. I didn't have enough of that so now I'm craving for it.
Sotong putih....
Squid.... fresh-looking but small squid. Don't know how the hubby made that. He said I was the one telling him how to do it but I've never done such style before. I love seafood. Mi mama bought the squid as they looked really fresh.

I've my menu planned out for leftover of the month of December. Just hope I don't get lazy and shove the menu into the dustbin.

No comments:

Post a Comment