Monday 3 November 2014

From Yen's Old Kitchen.. ๑•ิ.•ั๑

It has been quite some time since I last cook in my other kitchen. I feel blessed to have two kitchens although the second one used to be the one and only kitchen I have. But it's under-equipped. But my dishes turned out better in an ill-equipped kitchen as I was pushed to my limits to create delicious food to put on the table. I can be very creative if need be but the main kitchen in the new house is so well-equipped, one becomes lazy and less creative at times.
Sour plum fish...
Today is the first day of SPM, a major exam for secondary school students. My girls have a few hours break before the second paper. Just like the previous exams, I wouldn't want them to sit in the school for hours while waiting for the next paper, so I drove them home to have a good rest and piping hot meal. It's red tilapia... no? Ikan merah... red fish? I pan fried the fish then made the gravy with some sour plums. I only have less than 3 hours to prepare and cook plus eating time. My girls can be slow eaters as they enjoy their food to the max. The longest they ate was for 3 hours sitting at the dining table, chatting with each other, laughing away, rest their stomach for awhile then continue eating. Such is life for those who enjoy home-cooked food. 
Honey chicken... 
My precious' favourite dish. Any kind of chicken dish that I prepared. I am good with chicken dishes but I lack of experience in handling beef, lamb and duck. My precious was really happy with the honey chicken done in a different way that I've never tasted it before. I guess none of us have actually tasted anything similar before with all the different dishes everyday. We give our thumbs up for this honey chicken dish.
Steamed brinjals with minced pork...
Brinjal for the first time. I have been looking at recipes for brinjals and aubergines. I have no idea how the texture should be because I have not been adventurous enough to take a bite of brinjal. Then, when the new neighbour walked into my house with a bowl of salted bean paste fried brinjal last Thursday, I had to try it. It was delicious, that makes my neighbour a good cook. So, today I steamed the brinjal and because brinjals are basically tasteless, you will need something to tango with it. I fried some minced pork with my own concoction of marinades and chilli paste. Proven to be tasty, even mi mama who has no liking for brinjals love it. Okay, more brinjals to come soon.
A bowl of goodness...
A bowl of soup will always make the day perfect. It's quite a messy lot in a bowl with shiitake mushrooms, dried lily bulbs, yam cubes, white fungus and cabbages. I forget to put in the Chinese wolfberry... hmph hmph hmph hmph... 

No comments:

Post a Comment